- largest branch of the posterior tibial artery is peroneal artery arising high in leg and coursing downward in posterior compartment lateral
to and deeper than the posterior tibial artery;
- lies in the deep posterior compartment, just medial to fibula, just posterior to tibialis posterior, and just anterior to the FHL;
- sends numerous branches to adjacent muscles;
- sends branches through the interosseous membrane to muscles in the anterior compartment & nutrient artery to fibula;
- lateral compartment of leg has no artery proper to it;
- after sending off an anterior perforating artery peroneal artery ends as lateral calcaneal artery
Peroneal artery bypass: a reappraisal of its value in limb salvage.