- facultative anaerobic gram negative rod - seen in human bite infections
- staphylococcus aureus and streptococci remain the most common pathogens isolated from human bite wounds.
- requires a special medium for growth in culture;
- it is sensitive to penicillin, 2nd generation cefalosporins, carbenicillin, tetracycline, and ampicillin;
- cephalosporins provide inconsistent coverage;
- it is resistant to methicillin (naficillin) and clindamycin, gentamicin, erythromycin, and to chloramphenicol;
- it is resistant to oxacillin, methicillin, nafcillin;
Susceptibility of Eikenella corrodens to newer and older quinolones.