- outer surface of ilium between anterior and inferior gluteal lines and margin of greater sciatic notch;
- insertion: anterior border of greater trochanter;
- abducts femur at the hip and rotates it medially;
- lateral pelvic stabilizer;
- assissts in early activity of hip flexion;
- gluteus medius, tensor fascia lata, upper 2/3 of gluteus maximus;
- nerve supply: superior gluteal, L4, L5, S1; (see innervation)
The course of the superior gluteal nerve in the lateral approach to the hip
Gluteus medius and minimus insertion advancement for correction of internal rotation gait in spastic cerebral palsy.
Gluteal compartment and crush syndromes. Report of three cases and review of the literature.
MRI findings of gluteus minimus muscle damage in primary total hip arthroplasty and the influence on clinical outcome
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Monday, December 5, 2011 9:52 am