- outer surface of ilium from iliac crest and posterior gluteal line above to the anterior gluteal line below, gluteal aponeurosis;
- note that posterior border of the gluteus medius is almost in line w/ femoral shaft; the anterior border fans anteriorly;
- insertion: lateral surface of greater trochanter;
- abducts femur at the hip and rotates it medially;
- possible lateral rotation. w/ gluteus minimus is major lateral pelvic stabilizer; Aids in early activity of hip flexion;
- synergists: gluteus minimus, tensor fascia lata, upper gluteus maximus;
- nerve supply: super gluteal, L5 > L4, S1; (see innervation of the lower extremity);
- Gluteus Medius Gait Pattern:
- characterized by a Trendelenburh berg gait pattern;
- weakened medius; allows opposite side of pelvis to tilt downward during stance on weakened side;
- in effort to compensate, the trunk lurches toward weakened side (abductor lurch) during stance;
- this action moves the center of gravity nearer fulcrum on weak side, shortening the moment arm from the center of gravity to hip joint & reducing effort
required of the abductors of hip
The course of the superior gluteal nerve in the lateral approach to the hip
Gluteus medius and minimus insertion advancement for correction of internal rotation gait in spastic cerebral palsy.
Gluteal compartment and crush syndromes. Report of three cases and review of the literature.
Risk of Superior Gluteal Nerve and Gluteus Medius Muscle Injury During Femoral Nail Insertion.