Delayed Union of Tibial Plateau Frx
- most tibial plateau frx exhibits bony healing withing 3 months of frx;
- any frx that fails to heal clinically & radiologically in 3 mo is considered to have a delayed union;
- most common cause of delayed union is gradual loss of frx reduction over period of wks because of inadequate treatment that allows frx movement or hold fragments apart;
- if delayed union occurs despite accurate bony approximation, cast immobilization for a few weeks is used;
- if there is poor bony contact, ORIF is performed
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:46 pm