- is bactericidal antibiotic active only against Gm Pos organisms and a few gm neg organisms such as GC and Meningococci;
- commonly used topically and is effective PO in Rx of C.difficile colitis;
- apply ointment to area one or more times daily;
- bacitracin in concentrations as low as 50,000 units/L and polymyxin in concentrations as low as 50 mg/liter sterilized all cultures but S. epidermidis and Proteus species;
- use 50 units per ml for irrigation;
- is nephrotoxic and should not be used parentally;
- will interact with Neuromuscular blocking agents
The use of bacitracin irrigation to prevent infection in postoperative skeletal wounds. An experimental study.
Acute renal failure after total hip replacement.
A Randomized Prospective Study of Topical Antimicrobial Agents on Skin Grafts After Thermal Injury.
Intraoperative anaphylactic shock associated with bacitracin irrigation during revision total knee arthroplasty. A case report.