- see cement mixing:
- in the study by Geiger MH, et al (2001), the authors performed a controlled study compared the strength and porosity of 48
polymethylmethacrylate cement-implant constructs prepared with open bowl versus vacuum mix technique;
- 48 blast finished stainless steel rods of 13 mm diameter were implanted with centralizers into 17-mm inner diameter tubes that had been retrograde
filled with polymethylmethacrylate cement;
- 8 cement preparations used were open bowl and vacuum mixed Simplex, Osteobond, Zimmer Dough Type, or Palacos R;
- 6 replications of each condition were performed.
- rod pushout data showed there was no significant difference between open bowl and vacuum mixed samples when all cement brands were combined;
- mean sheer force for Palacos R vacuum mixed samples was greater than open bowl (634 ± 47 versus 423 ± 171), whereas the force for
Zimmer Dough Type cement open bowl was greater than that of the vacuum mixed samples (901 ± 71 versus 705 ± 82);
- cycles to failure data did not show significant differences when open bowl and vacuum mixed samples were compared when cements
were analyzed individually or combined;
- image analysis of cement-implant interfaces showed that vacuum mixing reduced void area significantly compared with open bowl mixing in
Palacos R and Osteobond preparations.
- vacuum mixing does not appear to reduce cement prosthesis interface porosity or improve its mechanical properties in all cements.
- The Clinical Significance of Vacuum Mixing Bone Cement.
- Do we need to vacuum mix or centrifuge cement?
- Vacuum mixing of acrylic bone cement.
- Bone cement improved by vacuum mixing and chilling.
- [Reduction of severe cardiac complications during implantation of cemented total hip endoprostheses in femoral neck fractures]
- Transesophageal echocardiography and clinical features of fat embolism during cemented total hip arthroplasty. A randomized study in patients with a femoral neck fracture.
- Prophylaxis against fat and bone-marrow embolism during total hip arthroplasty reduces the incidence of postoperative deep-vein thrombosis: a controlled, randomized clinical trial.
- Is there a difference in perioperative mortality between cemented and uncemented implants in hip fracture surgery?
- Periprosthetic fractures around hip hemiarthroplasty performed for hip fracture.
- Cardiac output during hemiarthroplasty of the hip. A prospective, controlled trial of cemented and uncemented prostheses.