- requirements are met with 1.0-1.5 ml (2-3 bottles) of 10% lipid emulsion/week;
- available as 10% or 20% solutions (1 or 2 kcal/cc);
- important to check baseline measurements of triglycerides ( < 200) and check 8-12 hrs after infusion (to r/o hypertriglyceridemia);
- safe to provide upto 25% total calories as lipid, but must never exceed 60%, and must not get > 2gm/kg/day;
- infuse over 6-12 hr period (1st bottle: 1 ml/min for 15 min to check for a hypersensitivity reaction);
- Fat Emulsion:
- 20% = 2 kcal/ml = 0.2 gm/ml
A comparison of medium-chain and long-chain triglycerides in surgical patients.