- Adult: 50-150mg PO/IM/SQ q3-4hr prn Pain; (75mg IM Demerol =10mg Morphine) 1-2 mg/kg/dose PO/IM/IV (including Peds q 6 hr)
- PO: peak effect at 2 hrs;
- IM/IV: onset at 2-5 min; Peak at 1 hr; lasts 2-3 hrs.
- IV administration must be slow in diluted solution;
- Peds: 1 mg/kg/dose IV/IM q2-4hr; 1.0-1.5 mg/kg/dose PO/IM/ or SQ q3-4 hr prn;
- Not for chronic use;
- concomitant administration of phenothiazines or other tranquilizers will potentiate the action of meperidine;
- (e.g. Hydroxyzine 25-100 mg IM q 4-6hr for Nausea and potentiation);
- beware of respiratory depression;
- concomitant use of MAOI may lead to seizures; (Phenelzine (Nardil)/Tranylcypromine (Parnate)/Isocarboxazid (Marplan));
- use in patients w/ renal failure, may lead to seizures;
- avoid its use in patients w/ head injuries, or increased intracranial pressure
The effect of continuous epidural analgesia on postoperative pain, rehabilitation, and duration of hospitalization in total knee arthroplasty.
Meperidine-induced seizure after revision hip arthroplasty.