- shortened first toe is characteristic in fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva;
- recognition of this consistent foot deformity can help in the early diagnosis;
- torticollis is common;
- see ossification of soft tissue:
- ossification, which occurs in the fascia and not in the muscle fibers, rarely occurs before 6 months of age.
- may see a developmental fusion of the cervical vertebra that may be confused with Still's Disease
- this deformity need not be treated surgically.
Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. A survey of forty-two cases.
Bone morphogenetic protein-4 regulation in fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.