- See: torticollis:
- origin: sternal head: anterior surface of the manubrium; clavicular head: superior surface of the medial half of clavicle;
- lateral surface of the mastoid process of the temporal bone and lateral half of the superior nuchal line of the occipital;
- acting unilaterally, draws the head toward the ipsilateral shoulder and rotates head to the opposite side; acting bilaterally, flexes the head;
- nerve supply:
- anterior rami of C2, C3; Spinal portion of the accessory nerve;
- synergist: scalene group;
Long-term results of open sternocleidomastoid tenotomy for idiopathic muscular torticollis.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Friday, December 2, 2011 4:35 pm