Salter Harris III Fractures of Distal Tibia
- displaced SH III & IV frxs of distal tibia require open reduction.
- left unreduced, this injury leads to premature physeal closure unless anatomically reduced.
- Diff Dx:
- Three Part Triplane Frx:
- appears as SH type III frx on AP view & type II on lateral;
- Tillaux Frx:
- Kleiger frx:
- type of SH type III frx;
- occurs in adolescence;
- involves variably-sized section of anterolateral tibial epiphysis;
- this portion of epiphysis is involved because physis of distal tibia closes in the middle first.
- medial portion then closes, and finally, the lateral portion
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:16 am