Reduction: Posterior Dislocation
- w/ pt in supine position, lateral traction is applied, followed by external rotation to relax the posterior capsule;
- posterior pressure is then placed on humeral head to affect reduction;
- after reduction, arm is gently abducted in external rotation and placed at side;
- following reduction, downward traction is applied to humerus plus downward and forward traction to humeral head to reduce it into glenoid cavity;
- forced external rotation must be avoided
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Monday, June 25, 2012 2:03 pm