Pouce Flottant Thumb
- See: Hypoplastic Thumb:
- a rudimentary thumb w/ no or very little metacarpal & no or very few muscles is categorized as a floating thumb.
- such a floating thumb may have all assoc. abnormalities & syndromes of true hypoplastic thumb and the absent thumb.
- in case of a severely hypoplastic thumb, most surgeons prefer to amputate thumb & pollicize index digit when child reaches the age of
about six months;
- if a contracted thumb web space & a very small thumb are allowed to remain throughout childhood, index finger will function as thumb in adulthood;
- in adult patients w/ well-formed habit patterns, reconstructive surgery of thumb becomes impractical and should be avoided.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:22 pm