- See: Hypoplastic Thumb:
- a rudimentary thumb w/ no or very little metacarpal & no or very few muscles is categorized as a floating thumb.
- such a floating thumb may have all assoc. abnormalities & syndromes of true hypoplastic thumb and the absent thumb
- in case of a severely hypoplastic thumb, most surgeons prefer to amputate thumb & pollicize index digit when child reaches the age of
about six months;
- if a contracted thumb web space & a very small thumb are allowed to remain throughout childhood, index finger will function as thumb in adulthood;
- in adult patients w/ well-formed habit patterns, reconstructive surgery of thumb becomes impractical and should be avoided.