- neuropathic shoulder may result from syringomyelia
(most common), chiari malformation, or syphilis;
- in some cases, it may be confused w/ shoulder instability
should be avoided in the acute inflammatory stage of the disease;
- Case Histories:
- 40-year-old female being worked up for rotator cuff tear.
- 14-year-old male presenting with shoulder pain while pitching.
- work up revealed Type I Chiari malformation.
Paraplegia, syrinomyelia tarda, and neuropathic arthrosis of the shoulder: a triad
Syringomyelia presenting as shoulder instability
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:45 am