Nerves arising from L5
- See: Innervation;
Gluteal, Inferior: L5, S1, S2
Gluteal, Superior: L4, L5, S1
Peroneal Nerve: L4, L5, S1
Sciatic: L4, L5, S1, S2, S3
Tibial: L4, L5, S1, S2, S3
- Sensortion Innervation: (see radiculopathies and Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerve Roots)
- dorsal first web space and the great toe
- Anterior approach to the SI joint:
- surgeon may choose to fix the SI joint anteriorly by approaching it from over the iliac wing, an approach that permits
direct visualization of reduction and placement of short plates & screws;
- structures at risk from this approach is the L5 nerve root which lies on anterosuperior surface of the 1st sacral body & ala
Orthopaedic management of high-level spina bifida. Early walking compared with early use of a wheelchair.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Monday, December 5, 2011 4:30 pm