- dense vertically oriented bone that originates in posteromedial portion of femoral shaft under lesser trochanter;
- it radiates laterally toward posterior aspect of greater trochanter;
- it reinforces the femoral neck posteroinferiorly;
- calcar femorale fuses w/ posterior aspect of femoral neck superiorly and extends distally anterior to the lesser trochanter and fuses w/ posteromedial aspect of the femoral diaphysis;
- calcar femorale is thickest medially & thins as it passes laterally;
- in literature regarding hip arthroplasty, medial cortex of femoral neck has frequently been mistakenly labeled as the calcar
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:47 pm