* Adults: Parental: 0.001-0.002 mg/kg/dose IV, may repeat in 1 to 2 hrs;
1-2 micrograms/kg/dose IM/IV: 100 micrograms = 10 mg Morphine.
Pre-op: 0.005-0.01 mg/kg IM 30-60 min before surgery;
Children (2-12 yrs): Parental: 0.02-0.03 mg/20-25 lbs (10 kg);
* IM: onset at 7-8 min; duration 1-2 hrs;
IV: peak effect at 5 min; duration 10-20 min.
* Sedative effects last up to 4 hrs.
* Less emetic effect, less sedation, and less histamine release than other narcotic analgesics;
* Contraindications include hypersensitivity and MAO Rx;
* Adverse reactions include respiratory depression, muscular rigidity, and bradycardia;
* Administer naloxone for respiratory depression