- blood supply to 1st metatarsal head is both extraosseous & intraosseous;
- extra-osseous supply:
- enters metatarsal on its lateral and dorsolateral surface 2 cm proximal to the joint;
- extra-osseous branches also enter lateral capsule;
- significant stripping of both dorsal & lateral aspects of distal metatarsal may disrupt the extraosseous supply;
- intraosseous supply:
- provides circulation through both diaphysis & metaphysis of the metatarsal
The vessels of the first metatarsal web space. An operative and radiographic study.