- See: Treatment based on King et al Algorithm
- fusion mass needs to include distal vertebra of structural curve;
- if a more distal vertebra appears rotated in the same direction as more cephalad vertebrae, it should be included in the fusion mass;
- arthrodesis should include the first stable vertebra
- this is the vertebrae that is bisceted by a line drawn thru the middle of the spinous process of S1 perpendicular to the iliac crest;
- in low lumbar curves, avoid extending the fusion mass past L4;
- lateral bending x-rays help delineate structural curves from compensatory curves which should not be included in the fusion mass
The selection of fusion levels in thoracic idiopathic scoliosis.