- Digit Reimplantation / Reconstruction
- Thumb Soft Tissue Defects / Amputations
- Indications: selective thumb reconstruction
- second metatarsal may be removed along with 2nd toe with little functional impairment;
- toe is taken from contralateral foot to facilitate anastomosis;
- dorsal triangular flap is planned to be about 4.0 cm in length and 2.0 to 2.5 cm across its base at the toe;
- apex of the triangle lies directly over the second metatarsal;
- extensor hallucis brevis is identified;
- just beneath this muscle, lies dorsalis pedis artery branch;
- dorsalis pedis continues distally as the first dorsal metatarsal artery;
- branch of this vessel to the great toe is severed and ligated while that to the second toe is carefully preserved;
- anastomosis on the hand is usually in anatomic snuff box or the ulnar side of the first metacarpal
Second toe-to-finger transfer in hand mutilations.
Transplantation of the second toe to the hand. A preliminary report of sixteen cases.