- perhaps the cause of the AVN in the most prognostic feature of whether or not core decompression will work;
- an alcoholic who has 100% abstained from drinking might fare better than a transplant patient who requires continuous steroids;
- bone grafting:
- some type of bone grafting should probably be considered for core decompression procedures;
- Long term followup of thorough debridement and cancellous bone grafting of the femoral head for avascular necrosis.
- Treatment of Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head with Core Decompression and Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein.
- Early results of core decompression and autologous bone marrow mononuclear cells instillation in femoral head osteonecrosis: a randomized control study.
- Core decompression combined with implantation of a demineralised bone matrix for non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head.
Core Decompression of the Femoral Head for Osteonecrosis Using Percutaneous Multiple Small-Diameter Drilling.
Physical therapy alone compared with core decompression and physical therapy for femoral head osteonecrosis in sickle cell disease. Results of a multicenter study at a mean of three years after treatment.
Nontraumatic Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head: Endoscopic Visualization of Its Avascular Burden