West Point Axillary View
- useful in identifying anterior glenoid abnormalities (Bankart Lesion) in pts w/ hx indicating traumatic instability of the shoulder;
- pt is placed prone on x-ray table w/ involved shoulder on a pad raised 7.5 cm from the top of the table;
- head & neck are turned away from the involved side;
- w/ cassette held against the superior aspect of shoulder, x-ray beam is centered at axilla, 25 deg downward from horizontal and 25 deg medial;
- resulting x-ray is a tangential view of the anteroinferior rim of the glenoid rim of the shoulder
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:42 pm