Selection of Fusion Level
- See: Treatment based on King et al Algorithm
- fusion mass needs to include distal vertebra of structural curve;
- if a more distal vertebra appears rotated in the same direction as more cephalad vertebrae, it should be included in the fusion mass;
- arthrodesis should include the first stable vertebra
- this is the vertebrae that is bisceted by a line drawn thru the middle of the spinous process of S1 perpendicular to the iliac crest;
- in low lumbar curves, avoid extending the fusion mass past L4;
- lateral bending x-rays help delineate structural curves from compensatory curves which should not be included in the fusion mass
The selection of fusion levels in thoracic idiopathic scoliosis.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:44 pm