- Actions of PTH:
- lack of responsiveness to PTH due to defect in adenyl cyclase;
- clinical picture may resemble of hypoparathyroidism;
- due to inability of bone & kidney to respond to parathyroid hormone, hypocalcemia and hyperphosphatemia occur in spite of elevated
- pts w/ this disorder have a characteristic clinical appearance that includes short stature, round faces, & shortened 4th metacarpals;
- subQ calcifications that may be present in pseudohypoparathyroidism not present in the idiopathic disorder
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:17 pm