Pertinent Blood Supply for Hallux Valgus Surgery
- blood supply to 1st metatarsal head is both extraosseous & intraosseous;
- extra-osseous supply:
- enters metatarsal on its lateral and dorsolateral surface 2 cm proximal to the joint;
- extra-osseous branches also enter lateral capsule;
- significant stripping of both dorsal & lateral aspects of distal metatarsal may disrupt the extraosseous supply;
- intraosseous supply:
- provides circulation through both diaphysis & metaphysis of the metatarsal
The vessels of the first metatarsal web space. An operative and radiographic study.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:44 pm