Joint Depression Calcaneal Fracture
- there is a transverse fracture in the coronal calcaneal plane that occurs between the posterior facet and the Achilles insertion;
- hence, the secondary fracture line extends from crucial angle of Gissane to posterior border of calaneus, exiting on superior surface of calcaneus (posterior to posterior margin of posterior facet);
- the posterior facet is driven in an inferior directioin;
- the medial portion of the posterior facet can remain continuous w/ the anterior and middle facets;
- frx fragments:
- sustentacular fragment: (contains posterior articular facet)
- tuberosity fragment;
- semilunar fragment: (contains lateral portion of posterior articular fragment);
- lateral wall blow out occurs in some cases;
- comminution anterior to the angle of Gissane is often mild
Pathoantomy of intra-articular articular fractures of the calcaneus.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:25 pm