- bone marrow signal on T1- and T2 vary with age
- in adults, tumor invading bone marrow will show decreased signal on T1, in contrast to normally high signal-intensity bone marrow;
- its imporant to note that traumatic, inflammatory, and neoplastic disorders will have similar appearances;
- some of lesions will have an increased signal intensity on T2 sequences (primary tumor, metastatic lesions, and infections) while others lesions will have low signal on T2 (leukemia, lymphoma);
- osteonecrosis has consistent decreased signal intensity on T1 images as compared to high signal of normal marrow (see MRI of AVN of femoral head)
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:48 pm