Type III: Pilon Frx
- severe articular comminution and articular impaction frx;
- reduce fibula then perform plate & lag screw fixation;
- restores length of fractured distal tibia:
- reduce articular surface
- carried out & maintained by temporarily stabilizing it with K wires;
- because of impaction of joint surface upward into metaphyseal cancellous bone, reconstruction of the joint surface is assoc w/
producing a metaphyseal defect in the transitional bone between joint & shaft;
- this must be filled in with a cancellous bone graft;
- buttress plate:
- addresses comminution in medial metaphyseal cortical bone,
- function of this plate is to provide support to this weakened area and prevents varus deformity
The pilon map: fracture lines and comminution zones in OTA/AO type 43C3 pilon fractures.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Friday, February 27, 2015 10:36 am