Transverse Tarsal Joint
- See: Midfoot/Forefoot Fractures
- transverse tarsal joint (talus-navicular, calcaneal-cuboid)
- motion is based on foot position with 2 axises of rotation (talo-navicular and calcaneocuboid)
- w/ eversion of foot (as in early stance phase), two joints are parallel and ROM is permitted;
- w/ foot in inversion (late stance), external rotation of lower extremity causes joints to no longer be parallel, & limited motion is allowed
The transverse tarsal joint and its control.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:06 pm