- may position frame laterally if its cross bars are made of carbon (radiolucent);
- disadvantage: relatively weak stabilization in AP plane;
- if two pins are used at metaparpal level, 6 cortices are obtained by distal pin capturing two cortices & more proximal pin capturing two cortices of second & two cortices of third metacarpal at base;
- self tapping threaded half pins thru bases of index & middle metacarpals & proximal shaft of index metacarpal alone, for a total pin purchase of six cortices;
- damage to the 2nd interosseous space, w/ intrinsic compartment damage causing secondary scarring and contracture
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:31 am