Iliac Wing: Fractures
- See: Sacro-Iliac Fracture Dislocations
- consider direct frx fixation from iliac crest into sacrum;
- under x-ray control, long, 6.5-mm cannulated lag screws transfix the frx from iliac wing to body of S-1;
- because of risk to neural structures, K guide wire usually is inserted, and its position is confirmed before the screw is placed;
- alternative approach with less potential for Neurologic Injury is to place fixation device between the two posterior iliac crests;
- large diameter threaded sacral bars or double cobra plates are commonly employed.
- incision is made parallel to the crest, allowing access to external and internal surfaces of the iliac wing.
- depending on type of frx, long lag screws can be placed between two tables of the ilium, spanning the fracture site, or screws can be supplemented by plates
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:28 pm