Exposure of Nail Matrix and Proximal Nail Fold
- insert the freer elevator under the nail fold for nail protection;
- make two full thickness tangential incisions laterally and proximally starting and the proximal-lateral borders of the nail fold;
- retract the flap w/ skin hooks, to expose the matrix;
- note: this technique may damage the dorsal germinal matrix, which can result in iatrogenic damage to the nail bed;
- hence, keep a high threshold for this type of exposure
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:52 pm