Controlled Mechanical Ventilation: (CMV)
- Delivers preset tidal volume at preset rate.
- No allowance is made for gas flow upon spontaneous effort by patient;
- Usually reserved for intraoperative use with anesthesia
- Requires heavy sedation or paralysis;
- Assist controlled mechanical ventilation: (ACMV)
- Ventilator delivers a preset tidal volume each time the patient makes an inspiratory effort;
- Entire minute ventilation is ventilator generated
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:11 pm