Chondrolysis Following SCFE
- rapid, progressive loss of joint space on radiographs and associated loss of clinical hip motion;
- pins penetration of joint is a leading cause of chondrolysis;
- penetration by a single screw (which is immediately removed) has a low incidence of chondrolysis;
- if chondrolysis or AVN develops, early osteoarthritis is more likely;
- some pts w/ chondrolysis may have partial reappearance of joint cartilage;
- look for a progressive irregularity of subcondral bone;
- Treatment of Chondrolysis:
- traction for flexion contractures & range of motion exercises;
- after the initial loss of articular cartilage, there may be a gradual improvement in joint space, and hip movement may improve slightly
Chondrolysis in slipped upper femoral epiphysis. Long-term study of the aetiology and natural history.
Traction reduction of acute and acute-on-chronic slipped capital femoral epiphysis.
Chondrolysis after slipped capital femoral epiphysis.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Monday, January 23, 2012 5:10 pm