- See: first generation ceph
- adult: 1-4 gm/day PO given in 4-6 hr intervals; Max 4gm per 24 hrs;
- 250 to 500mg PO q6hr for UTI; t1/2=1hr;
- may give with Probenicid w/ osteomylitis for 2-4wks IV;
- contra with cephalo allergy;
- dosing regimens for patients w/ renal insufficiency: (dose for 70 kg adult gm/dosing interval in hours;
- CrCl: >80:0.5/6; CrCl:50-79:0.5/6;
- CrCl:30-49:0.5/8; CrCl:10-29:0.5/12;
- 90 % of dose will be excreted in urine (w/ nl R F(x))
- note 10-15% cross reactivity with penicillin allergic patients;
- peds: 25-50 mg/kg/24hr q 6;
- supplied: 250 mg caps, 250 mg suspension
Efficacy of perioperative cefamandole with postoperative cephalexin in the primary outpatient treatment of open wounds of the hand.
Original Text by Clifford R. Wheeless, III, MD.
Last updated by Data Trace Staff on Friday, November 30, 2012 3:23 pm